Thursday, October 23, 2014

TBT- 1987, My First Home!

TBT takes me back to my first home.  Purchased in 1987 for $49,000, this lovely 900sf 2BR 1 BA home with a detached 2 car garage on a 30ft wide, 125 ft. deep lot, in Riverdale, IL.  It is a 1952 post-Korean War bungalow, typical in many of the Chicago neighborhoods and suburbs.  Lathe and plaster walls, real brick, gravity heat (big old octopus arms in the basement with a huge chamber, NO air conditioning.  First project was to build a bar in the basement, followed by the deck off the back, then creating sliders from the kitchen to the deck.  I loved this house!  One of the favorite things here was to decorate and entertain for Christmas.  I have included a few different shots of the exterior at the holidays and the first "village" I did in the basement, which stayed up all year, but was added to, each year.  Many of you were in this home, jam packed, on occasion, as I remember over 110 people in the house for one party!!  It was after that one I decided to have multiple parties, focusing on different groups.  One never forgets their first home purchase.  I lived here for 9-1/2 years.  I sold this home for $69,000, just couldn't crack that $70,000 mark!! haha













No comments:

Post a Comment